What do you celebrate on February 9th?

What do you celebrate on February 9th?

I do not know what you are celebrating that day, but that day I am in mourning for one of the greatest men that has walked on the earth, not to mention also that he has been the most noble and brave man of all time.




February 9: Eyvind Kinnrifa Day

Eyvind Kinnrifa was a viking chieftain of Trondheim, Norway in the tenth century. He was a pagan devotee and protagonist of one of the most sordid events related to forced conversion to Christianity headed by King Olaf Tryggvason.

Knowing the precedents of the royal visit to various provinces, two merchants called Hauk and Sigurd, they warned Eyvind to be careful with the king because they knew his pagan devotion and they had had problems for that in a previous encounter of which (for the moment) they had saved themselves. Eyvind went to visit Hårek av Tjøtta for advice that received him well and listened to his fears; but in the area were already the men of King Olaf who were watching Hårek and took Eyvind prisoner, taking him to the presence of the king in his ship that was in Nidaros because he was heading north in an expedition to solve the pagan dissidence in the zone .

After a short conversation, the king first petitioned Eyvind for his voluntary conversion and accepted the baptism, Eyvind refused. The king then offered gifts and proposed a fief, but Eyvind continued to reject the offer. Finally the king threatened him with death, but Eyvind did not yield. Olaf then ordered his men to place a grill full of burning coals on the viking's belly.

With tears of pain, Eyvind said to pull away   the grill with embers because he had to say something before he died.
The king thought that he would accept the conversion and asked if he accepted Christ, but Eyvind replied:

"No, I can not receive baptism even if I wish. My father and mother had no children before asking for help from the Finnish sorcerers. The last one told them that they would have a child, but they had to swear that their son would serve Odin and Thor until he died. And that is how I was born and consegrated to Odin, and as soon as I was able to swear vows of my own, I renewed his oath. I have become a mighty leader. Now, so many times I have dedicated myself to Odin that I can not now, nor will I disappoint him."

And with those words expired the one who had been one of the great sorcerers of the north.

Every February 9th, mourning for the great pagan martyr is celebrated.

Blessings... Elhoim Leafar.



Comments

Popular Posts